SEELANGS Digest - 27 Nov 2007 to 28 Nov 2007 - Special issue (#2007-273)

David Powelstock pstock at BRANDEIS.EDU
Thu Nov 29 14:57:50 UTC 2007

I tried, but could resist intervening in this discussion. I'm surprised that
no one has pointed out the obvious: statements about language are either
descriptive or normative. Olga Y. and Will Ryan (and others) are speaking
primarily about descriptions of linguistic items, e.g., how they function in
discourse. Such statements need to be evaluated on the basis of their
descriptive adequacy. Normative statements, in this case questions of "good"
or "bad" style, are another matter entirely.  As Olga points out, "Like
esthetic judgements, what consitutes "good writing" (or "good speaking") is
never an absolute or universal matter." Nevertheless, one can make sound
arguments in support of one's normative stylistic judgments as they apply to
particular types of writing or speaking. As someone who teaches writing and
public speaking in English regularly and writing in Russian occasionally, I
would be remiss if I didn't teach the students that certain types of
language that have clear functions in conversational discourse make their
formal writing and speaking less persuasive and powerful.

There are all sorts of normative stylistic judgments out there, not all of
which are well founded in the logic of effective communication. On the other
hand, there are fine works of normative stylistics that make compelling
arguments for their recommendations. For English style, I highly recommend
_Clear and Simple as the Truth_ by Francis-Noel Thomas and Mark Turner.
There is also Orwell's famous essay, "Politics and the English Language."

But my main point is that one needs to be aware of the difference between
descriptive and normative approaches to language usage. To ignore the first
is to misunderstand how language works; to ignore the second is to deprive
the teaching of language of an important element of functionally effective
communication, even if there is an inevitable element of subjectivity
involved. Incidentally, one can also study normative stylistics
descriptively, i.e., as a phenomenon in the history of culture. I recall
playing on local softball team where I felt the need to curse more often in
order to be considered a full-fledged member of the "discursive community"!

Best wishes to all,
David Powelstock
Brandeis University