discourse words

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Thu Nov 29 15:12:05 UTC 2007

On Nov 28, 2007, at 11:46 PM, Renee Stillings wrote:

> Perhaps it is just my personal impression, but the more I hear "v
> principe"
> used in Russia, the more I cringe.

Think of it in conjunction with English kinda (kind of), sorta (sort
of). There is not much difference.

388,000,000 for "kind of" on Google
138,000,000 for "sort of"

2,900,000 for "в принципе"

> The reason - it signals to me the main
> thing as an employer in Russia I want to pull my hair out about -
> lack of
> commitment or taking of responsibility.

It could signal a number of other things, a form of modesty, for
example, common in Eastern societies, observance of the social
hierarchy, to which Russians are more sensitive than Americans.

Alina Israeli
LFS, American University
4400 Massachusetts Ave., NW
Washington DC. 20016