[Bulk] Re: [SEELANGS] discourse words

Patricia Chaput chaput at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Fri Nov 30 02:33:08 UTC 2007

отвечал, а не ответил?

The use of the imperfective here appears to be a case of what has often
been called "konstatacija fakta" and is perhaps best understood by
assigning two meanings to uzhe:  1) so quickly; 2) at some previous
time.  I don't mean literal translations of uzhe and perhaps there are
better ones, but just a way of trying to characterize the ways that uzhe
and aspect can be related to be used in two different kinds of
situations that convey two different meanings.  Consider the following
examples:
1) Two students, working together on their Russian homework.  The first
one says, "Let's start with ex. 10."  A ja ego uzhe sdelal, says the
second.  That is, having done the exercise is part of relevant time that
began at some point in the past and continues to the present, with
results relevant to the present moment.  So, to try to make it visual,
if the present is marked by an X, then    |----------|X
2) A substitute teacher in a Russian class, says "Let's do exercise
10."  A my ego uzhe delali, answer the students, meaning that this
exercise was done at a previous time and therefore does not need to be
done now.  The doing of the exercise was an event completed in a period
of time not relevant to the present.  Again to try to make it visual,
     By choosing the imperfective, Putin is saying that answering that
question is already over and done with.  Time to move on.
At least, that is my reading of it.

Pat Chaput
Harvard University