Bulat Okudzhava's black staircases

Muireann Maguire mm504 at CAM.AC.UK
Fri Nov 30 18:06:43 UTC 2007

In her book 'Common Places' Svetlana Boym quotes a song (in English
translation) by Bulat Okudzhava, which is apparently dedicated to the 'black
staircases' of Soviet communal apartment buildings. Unfortunately, the quote
isn't referenced. After trawling through many Okudzhava poems, I still
haven't managed to trace the reference to either 'black staircases' or
'black cats' which 'never cry nor sing' (in the same song). If anyone can
tell me which Okudzhava song is being cited, I'd be very grateful.