grad study at UIUC--PLEASE POST

mcfinke at UIUC.EDU mcfinke at UIUC.EDU
Fri Oct 12 14:51:35 UTC 2007

The Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign invites applications from prospective graduate students pursuing a Ph.D.  The Russian classics continue to play a vital role in our program; in addition, our faculty and Ph.D. program in Slavic Languages and Literatures encourages interdisciplinary work, including cultural studies approaches and comparative Slavic studies.

Qualified students beginning their graduate career will be offered five years of financial support (including fellowships, teaching assistantships, summer support, research assistantships). We also welcome applicants who have completed an M.A. in Slavic Languages and Literatures (or such related fields as Comparative Literature) elsewhere.

In the past five years, the UIUC Slavic department has experienced a renaissance.  In addition to the young, exciting scholars who have joined the department in this period, affiliate appointments have been extended to faculty in departments such as History and Art History, facilitating interdisciplinary work. The faculty of the UIUC Slavic department represent a broad range of interests and methodological approaches, including the intersections of literature and law, medicine, and psychoanalysis; Russian-Jewish Studies; intellectual history; gender, sexuality, and the body; Stalinist culture; film history and theory; Czech revival culture; nationalism and literature; Polish modernism, postmodernism, and visual culture; exilic and émigré literature; and East European pop culture. We invite you to consult our list of faculty and their recent publications to appreciate the rich variety of their research (http://www.slavic.uiuc.edu/people/).

The University of Illinois has valuable resources for graduate study in the Slavic fields. The Russian, East European, and Eurasian Center (REEEC), a federally-funded national resource center established in 1959, sponsors a variety of programs—including the annual Summer Research Laboratory on Russia, Eastern Europe, and Eurasia—and funds graduate student conference travel and fellowships. The Slavic Library is home to the third largest collection in North America and is the central resource for the Summer Research Lab. We also maintain close ties with the Program in Comparative Literature, the History Department, the Unit for Criticism and Interpretive Theory, the Unit for Jewish Studies, and the Unit for Cinema Studies. The department regularly hosts and co-sponsors conferences and participates actively in cross-campus and interdisciplinary initiatives.

Most students admitted to the program receive teaching assistantships and gain experience conducting classes at all levels of Russian, Polish, Ukrainian, Czech, Serbian and Croatian, Bulgarian, Yiddish, or Turkish. There are also opportunities to teach undergraduate literature and culture courses. Some students gain an insider’s perspective on scholarly publishing through editorial assistantships at _Slavic Review_ or internships with the Dalkey Archive publishing house, now located on campus. The Slavic department is also able to offer university fellowships and research assistantships to some incoming and continuing graduate students. The Foreign Language Area Study (FLAS) fellowship administered by REEEC has consistently provided our graduate students with funding for both introductory and advanced training in Slavic languages. University scholarships are available to minority students. UIUC also offers competitive on-campus and off-campus dissertation fellowships.

To learn more about the opportunities and resources at UIUC and to learn how to apply, please visit our website:
                                            (http://www.slavic.uiuc.edu/graduate/).

Please contact us with questions about our program or the application process!

Harriet Murav <hlmurav at uiuc.edu>
Head, Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures

Michael Finke <mcfinke at uiuc.edu>
Director of Graduate Studies