PhD program at Brown University

Fidler, Masako Ueda Masako_Fidler at BROWN.EDU
Fri Oct 19 19:54:54 UTC 2007

Dear SEELANGers:

The Department of Slavic Studies at Brown University invites prospective graduate students to apply to our program. We offer an M.A. and Ph.D. in Slavic Studies specializing in Russian and Polish culture and literature and in modern Czech culture. The program has a strong interdisciplinary focus, and students are encouraged to work with both our own faculty and with faculty in related fields, such as comparative literature, theater, history, art history, modern culture and media, and political science. The program trains flexible and innovative scholars able to address varying teaching and research needs in the future job market. Our faculty represents a broad range of interests and methodological approaches, including literary history of all major periods; poetry and poetics; intersections of literature, history, and politics; history and theory of film and theater; intellectual history, art and cultural studies; minority studies and discourse linguistics. The list of our faculty is available at our website:
<http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Slavic_Languages/Department <http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Slavic_Languages/Department>

The program offers:

*       Competitive, five year funding packages

*       Individualized programs of study

*       Close guidance and mentoring

*       Support for preparation of grant proposals, journal articles, and participation in professional meetings

*       Courses through Brown-Harvard exchange program

*       Strong placement record for Ph.D's.
How to apply: Go to  http://gradschool.brown.edu  to complete the online application to the Graduate School.

Admission requirements: GRE: general test required, advanced competence in Russian; writing sample in English (fifteen pages maximum).

Application deadline: January 3

If you have questions about the program please contact us:

Svetlana Evdokimova (Svetlana_Evdokimova at brown.edu),
Chair, Slavic Department

Vladimir Golstein (Vladimir_Golstein at brown.edu),
Director of Graduate Studies, Slavic Department