Quote from Tolstoy

marina brodskaya marinabrodskaya at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 24 22:00:44 UTC 2007

The Cossacks?

"There are here no chestnut steeds, no Cataracts (NB: as in Dniepr Cataracts
-- mb), Amalat-beks, no heroes, and no brigands,"
he thought. "people live here as does Nature; they die, they are born, they
fight, they drink, they eat, they have pleasure, and again they die, and
there are no conditions, except those unchangeable one which Nature has
imposed upon the sun, the grass, the beasts, and the trees. They have no
other laws."