Not Re: [SEELANGS] Russian Rock

Sibelan E S Forrester sforres1 at SWARTHMORE.EDU
Thu Oct 25 13:29:15 UTC 2007

Elena Prokhorova's question about translated lyrics reminded me to
post this, for list members interested in Slavic/East
European/Eurasian and North American popular music connections:

My resident teenager informs me that the members of the Los Angeles
group System of a Down are Armenian ("and their last names all begin
with -ian," he adds observantly).  They have a distinctive sound in
which this listener detects numerous folk or folk-like musical
quotations, as well as some historical references in their lyrics.

There's a fresh interview with the lead singer, Serj Tankian, at
<http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/music/la-et-serj24oct24,0,6075653.story?coll=la-home-middleright>
(he's just released a solo CD project), plus several million other
hits on Google.

With best regards,

Sibelan

Sibelan Forrester
Russian/Modern Languages and Literatures
Swarthmore College