Not Re: [SEELANGS] Russian Rock

Nathan Longan nathanlongan at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 25 17:42:11 UTC 2007

On the same subject, those interested in cross-cultural pop culture and
music connections should check out Kino Proby.  www.*kino**proby*.com/

Their site has a hilarious photo section on "why we want to live in Russia"

They are a real band with a real following.  I'm afraid I don't know when
their next performance is, but if you get a chance to see them, don't miss
it!

All the best,
Nathan

On 10/25/07, Sibelan E S Forrester <sforres1 at swarthmore.edu> wrote:

> Elena Prokhorova's question about translated lyrics reminded me to
> post this, for list members interested in Slavic/East
> European/Eurasian and North American popular music connections:
>
> My resident teenager informs me that the members of the Los Angeles
> group System of a Down are Armenian ("and their last names all begin
> with -ian," he adds observantly).  They have a distinctive sound in
> which this listener detects numerous folk or folk-like musical
> quotations, as well as some historical references in their lyrics.
>
> There's a fresh interview with the lead singer, Serj Tankian, at
> <
> http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/music/la-et-serj24oct24,0,6075653.story?coll=la-home-middleright
> >
> (he's just released a solo CD project), plus several million other
> hits on Google.
>
> With best regards,
>
> Sibelan
>

> Sibelan Forrester
> Russian/Modern Languages and Literatures
> Swarthmore College

Nathan Longan, PhD
Resident Director
CIEE Study Center