shlyukha, kurva, shalava

Alina Makin resco at UMICH.EDU
Thu Oct 25 13:42:15 UTC 2007

Here is a whole forum on what 'shalava' means to different people:

http://a.farit.ru/i/t-55210.html

I also looked it up in Dal' and he claims that it is a derivative of "shalit'"
or "shal'noy" (to be naughty, wild, crazy) and is synonymous
to "sumasbrodnyi", "vzbalmoshnyi", "rezvyi", "shalabolka", and is more common
in the southern dialect.
The forum also mentions (and I agree with with this opinion) that this word
can be applied to women of any class/appearance and is more commonly used
by women about women to describe someone who has no limits to the way
she can behave (although in some instances it can be used when talking
about men too).  Moreover, it is not anywhere near as obscene 'shlyukha' and
especially 'kurva'.

If 'a tart' sounds too foreign to the American ear, then, perhaps, a 'wild thing'
might be a good substitute.

Alina Makin
University of Michigan