shlyukha, kurva, shalava

Kim Braithwaite kbtrans at COX.NET
Thu Oct 25 22:44:01 UTC 2007

A modest addition to slang uses of the word bitch:

In situations of hierarchy in some bureaucracy, corporate office, street
gang, or whatever - subject to change when there is jockeying for power -
"bitch" may refer to someone (X) who is subservient to, under the thumb of
someone else (Y). Unless X is by nature a lickspittle, he/she probably
doesn't like it - there is a note of menace - while Y glories in it. Y might
say "You're my bitch," meaning X has to give in, do as he/she is ordered to,
act the slavey or lackey as it were. If the relationship is not that
blatant, and is even voluntary on X's part, and Y doesn't actually use such
a phrase, the associates of X and Y might snicker among themselves and refer
to X as "Y's bitch." Or, on the other side, X might say defensively "I'm
nobody's bitch!"

Clearly this usage is ultimately of misogynistic origin, but I'll leave it
at that. Someone who is fluent in hip-hop/gangsta rap may have more to say
on the matter.

Mr Kim Braithwaite, Translator

    "Good is better than evil, because it's nicer" - Mammy Yokum (Al Capp)