Conference: The Pain of Words: Narratives of Suffering in Slavic Cultures (May 9-11, 2008, Princeton)

Elena Gapova e.gapova at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Mon Oct 29 10:44:02 UTC 2007

Dear Olga,

I think that the best thing to do is to write to the program committee
directly and ask them: oushakin at princeton.edu

On behalf of "you know who",
e.g.

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU]On Behalf Of Olga Meerson
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2007 6:36 AM
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Conference: The Pain of Words: Narratives of
Suffering in Slavic Cultures (May 9-11, 2008, Princeton)

Dear Narratives of Suffering Conference People,
I am responding to the SEELANGS announcement of the conference. I would like
to present a paper titled "Two Strategies of Pain Narrative: Conspicuous
Omission (Dostoevsky) and Re-Familiarization (Pushkin, Leo Tolstoy, and
Andrey Platonov)". I have been working on Platonov's language of pain since
1986 (my MA essay at Columbia), on both him and Dostoevsky, since 1991 (PhD
Dissertation topic and defense, ibid., a book in Russian on Platonov in 1997
and, in English, on Dostoevsky, 1998), and on all four writers, forever, as
a teacher, researcher, and translator or translation consultant. I have
abundant written and published (as well as even more abundant unwritten and
unpublished) material on Dostoevsky and Platonov but am also really
interested in Pushkin's Captain's Daughter and "Travels to Arzerum" and
Tolstoy's "Hadji-Murad".
I can prepare a short (20 minute) paper, or a plenary (50 min) one, as you
tell me. The topic of your conference has been long overdue, for the
purposes of Russia, the whole Eastern Europe and Eurasia region and, last
but not least, its burning relevance for USA today. My gratitude and
congratulations. Actually, I may talk more narrowly, say, about "Implicating
the American Reader in Russians' Suffering: Why Do We Care?" Only, tell me
what you prefer. I am very eager to participate in any serious forum on the
matter.
Please let me know what you need from me (by now, I am not exactly a junior
scholar).

Awaiting reply,
o.m.