Conference: The Pain of Words: Narratives of Suffering in Slavic Cultures (May 9-11, 2008, Princeton)

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere darancourlaferriere at COMCAST.NET
Mon Oct 29 20:41:58 UTC 2007

Dear Colleagues,

The Program Committee wrote:

>We especially encourage submissions that approach concrete textual or
>ethnographic materials in a theoretically informed way, without reiterating
>the alleged masochistic fascination of Slavic cultures with pain and
>suffering.

I have some questions:

1) What "alleged masochistic fascination" are we referring to here?
2) What is wrong with "masochistic fascination?"
3) What is wrong with masochism generally?
4) How is it even possible to study "pain" in the Slavic cultural
context without at least mentioning masochism?
5) Why would there be any problem with studying "masochistic
fascination" in a "theoretically informed way?"  Are only certain
theories permitted?
6) Why would one want to pre-censor the content of an upcoming conference?

With regards to the list,

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere
Emeritus Professor of Russian
University of California, Davis