marking stressed vowels in OS X 10.4

Kjetil Rå Hauge k.r.hauge at ILOS.UIO.NO
Sat Sep 1 09:38:25 UTC 2007

Kern Lunde wrote:
> Sarah,
>   I had to experiment with this at first a couple years ago when I made
> the switch to Mac, and I found that some fonts seem to work and some
> don't.  The one that seems to work best is Lucida Grand.  With your
> keyboard layout set to Russian, type a letter you want to have an accent
> on.  Then, click on the 'Show Character Palette' on the keyboard layout
> dropdown.  The combining diacritical marks start at 0000300 (a common
> one is at 0000341).  Select the desired diacritic, then click 'Insert'
> and then close the Character Palette window.  The letter should now show
> with the correct accent.  I'm sure other fonts may work, since I didn't
> exhaustively test every font.

When you click on a character in the Character Palette, its bottom
window ("Font Variation") will show you which fonts contain the
character in question. Apart from Lucida Grande, Times and Verdana,
among the standard fonts, contain Cyrillic and combining diacritical
marks. (Do not use the Chinese fonts that show up, they will give you
incorrect character spacing.) Other good, free fonts are Titus Cyberbit
(<http://titus.fkidg1.uni-frankfurt.de/unicode/tituut.asp>) and Sil
Doulos
(<http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=DoulosSILfont>).

  It's just that Lucida Grand was the first
> one that seemed to work best.  It's not elegant, but it works!

Word doesn't do a very good job in rendering the combining diacritics
together with the letters. If your documents do not have very
complicated formatting, you might be better off printing them with
TextEdit, which comes with OS X and opens .doc and .rtf files.

--- Kjetil Rå Hauge, U. of Oslo
--- tel. +47/22856710, fax +1/5084372444