Russia has hired Borat as PR-Czar

John Dunn J.Dunn at SLAVONIC.ARTS.GLA.AC.UK
Sun Sep 2 12:03:14 UTC 2007

I suppose this is what you get if you spend millions of dollars on hiring international PR firms.  Two things particularly caught my eye.  The first was the readers' letters, which, if genuine (and I did recognise one name), cast a very sinister light indeed on the readership of the The Daily Telegraph.  The second was the claim by the head of RZD that the reason why it took 30 hours to travel by train from Moscow to Sochi was that the track passed through mountainous terrain.  Perhaps, but about 19 of those hours are spent getting to Rostov, and the mountains of the Black Earth region are a geomorphological phenomenon that somehow escaped my notice.

John Dunn.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Denner <mdenner at STETSON.EDU>
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 09:47:16 -0400
Subject: [SEELANGS] Russia has hired Borat as PR-Czar

If you didn't catch yesterday's WaPo insert from Российская газета, you missed something so redolent of late 1980s propaganda that I initially thought it MUST be satire...

Fortunately, the whole thing is available here:

http://publishing.yudu.com/A23p4/rbth-30-08-07/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=http%3A%2F%2Frbth.rg.ru%2Findex.php%3Fsection%3Dep

(The interface is really quite cool.)

John Dunn
Honorary Research Fellow, SMLC (Slavonic Studies)
University of Glasgow, Scotland

Address:
Via Carolina Coronedi Berti 6
40137 Bologna