Russian artist A. E. Stepanov

Edythe Haber Edythe.Haber at UMB.EDU
Thu Sep 13 18:03:08 UTC 2007

Dear Prof. Hunter:

There is a short entry on Aleksandr Evgen'evich Stepanov in O.L. Leikind, K.V. Makhrov, D. Ia. Severiukhin, "Khudozhniki russkogo zarubezh'ia, 1917-1939:  Biograficheskii slovar'" (SPb: Notabene, 1999): 546.  According to this source, he was born in Russia in 1894, died in Novosibirsk in 1985. He graduated from the Moscow School of Painting, Sculpture, and Architecture, served as a pilot during the World War, and after the revolution emigrated to Kharbin.  He painted landscapes of Manchuria "in a traditional manner," had several personal exhibitions in the 1930s in Kharbin, designed sets, and painted murals for the Blagoveshchenskii Cathedral in Kharbin.  He returned to the USSR in 1955 and settled in Novosibirsk.

One source is mentioned at the end of the entry:  Taskina, E. "Neizvestnyi Kharbin, M., 1994, C. 111-116.  There might be more details there.

Hope this is helpful,
Edythe Haber

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list on behalf of Hunter, Robert (Psychology)
Sent: Thu 9/13/2007 11:55 AM
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Russian artist A. E. Stepanov

I would appreciate any information about A. E. Stepanov, a 19th/20th century Russian painter or suggestions about where I might look.   I have two paintings of his and an article, in Russian, from a Kharbin, China publication, "Rubezh".  The article is about a gala opening of a display of his works with very little about the artist.

Robert Hunter
Psychology Department

Monroe Community College

Rochester, NY