Russian rules, Czech geography

Maria Fomina fomina_brainina at YAHOO.COM
Mon Sep 17 03:06:53 UTC 2007

Dear colleagues
I’m afraid you confused the different rules:
1.	The word “selo” as all the other
Russian words of neuter gender ending on –o or
–e  (for sample “,boloto”,
“pole”, “okno” and so on)
refers to the second  declension and has the regular
paradigm of declantion “selo”,
“sela”, “sely”,
“selo”, “selom”, “ o
sele”;
2.	The words of the foreign origin  like
“pal’to”, “metpo” do not
decline, for sample: “idu v pal’to”,
 “govoru o pal’to”, “vyshel iz
metro”, “stou okolo metro ” ;
3.	The names of the  settlement ending on –ov,
-ev, -in, -yv, -OVO, -EVO,
-INO, -YNO ( “l’vov”,
“Borodino”) in instrumental case
(ablative) has the ending –om (“za
L’vovOM”, “pod BorodinOM” )

The world “Brno” can not be referred to
the rule # 3 as it doesn’t have any of these
endings and just ends on –O.  It is related to
the rule # 2, the same as the name “Kongo”
.

Maria Fomina Ph.D
PIMS, University of Toronto

--- "Paul B. Gallagher" <paulbg at PBG-TRANSLATIONS.COM>
wrote:

> Francoise Rosset wrote:
>
> > Uvazhaemye kollegi:
> >
> > A quick question
> > (expl.: I have a Czech student in my Russian
> class).
> >
> > If the prepositional/locative rule is that a
> foreign place name
> > ending in -o is not declined, then does that
> always apply to
> > fellow Slavic place names?
> > Right now, I'm interested in BRNO. And by all
> indications,
> > the rule holds. The Russian wikipedia entry spells
> out "v Brno"
> > for the locative ... "Shpilbergskaia krepost' v
> Brno iavilas' etc."
> >
> > Now what if the Slavic place name were a cognate
> of a Russian
> > word like "selo" - for me this is purely
> hypothetical as no
> > examples come to mind.
> > Does anyone have an example and would that modify
> the rule?
> > Would the cognate simply get translated into the
> Russian word
> > and declined, or could it remain non-Russian and
> be declined?
> > Thanks so much,
>
> Many Slavic place names are cognate with Russian
> roots, some more
> obviously than others. For example, Hradec kralové
> seems to be related
> to the Russian root
го�од/г�ад with a
> diminutive suffix -ec = -е�. But
> these are so obviously non-Russian that AFAIK they
> are treated as
> foreign and not declined.
>
> A more difficult case would be Czech "Nové
m�sto"