Translation of Flora/Fauna

nataliek at UALBERTA.CA nataliek at UALBERTA.CA
Mon Sep 17 18:39:42 UTC 2007

Cumbersome, but effective - I used this method when writing an article
on folk medicine and trying to find the equivalent of Russian and
Ukrainian medicinal plants.

Take the Russian word.  Look up the Latin equivalent.  From the Latin
equivalent, go to the English word.

Natalie Kononenko

Quoting Paul Richardson <paulr at RUSSIANLIFE.NET>:

> Working on a translation and my Russian editor was surprisingly unable
> to come up with English equivalents of the following (I will use
> transcription to avoid encoding issues):
>
> Two types of birds:
>
> nochnaya ptitsa-kovyrun
> ptitsa-chernukhi
>
> One plant: