Translation of Flora/Fauna

Mon Sep 17 21:02:18 UTC 2007

nataliek at UALBERTA.CA wrote:

> Cumbersome, but effective - I used this method when writing an article
> on folk medicine and trying to find the equivalent of Russian and
> Ukrainian medicinal plants.
>
> Take the Russian word.  Look up the Latin equivalent.  From the Latin
> equivalent, go to the English word.

Good practice, but doesn't always work when you're dealing with folk
names and slang.

In this case...

>> Two types of birds:
>>
>> nochnaya ptitsa-kovyrun
>> ptitsa-chernukhi

No listings, or even near misses, for either term or any of their key
components, in my best source:

Словарь названий животных: Птицы / Dictionary of Animal Names in Five
Languages: Birds, by R. L. Bëme and V. Ye. Flint; ed. by V. Ye. Sokolov.
Moscow: Russky yazyk, 1994. 11,060 names in Latin, Russian, English,
German & French.

>> One plant:
>>
>> solyonenkaya travka

No listing, or even a near miss, for this term or for "trava
solënenkaya" in my best source:

Russian-English Botanical Dictionary, by Paul Macura. Columbus, OH:
Slavica, 1981. About 40,000 entries.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com