Translation of Flora/Fauna

Will Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Tue Sep 18 19:46:53 UTC 2007

Commiserations to John Meredig - becoming relevant is somehow like
losing one's innocence! I had just found a site for huntsmen on Yandex
which also pointed to ducks, though without the additional details
offered by John. The only problem is that the story in which these words
appear seems to have the chernukhi sitting in the branches of a tree. I
don't know much about birds, but it seems unlikely that any of these
birds can do that.
And by the way, for "zelenenkaya travka" perhaps the following helps,
also via Yandex, Солянка русская (поташник, соленая трава), Salsola
ruthenica ILjin.

Will Ryan