Translation of Flora/Fauna: kovyrun

Jerome Katsell Jerry3 at ROADRUNNER.COM
Wed Sep 19 04:16:51 UTC 2007

Philippe,

The "nochnaya ptitsa kovyrun" suggests to me the verb stem "kovyr" (kovyriat', kovyrnut', kovyrivat'), which is found in Dal'. There are a couple of main meanings: 1) to root about, dig, scratch, 2) to do something
sluggishly, to do a thing without the requisite energy. Kovyrun, the "un" designates one of a type that does whatever the root directs, thus "boltun" suggests (from "boltat'", to chatter) a chattering, gossiping busy-body.
You've got a de-verbal noun with a "un" suffix suggesting a night bird who roots around on the ground perhaps in a sluggish, "vialo" manner. Maybe that
definition will spark its name for someone out there in the ethers of cyberspace.

Jerry Katsell

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of FRISON Philippe
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2007 11:58 PM
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Translation of Flora/Fauna: kovyrun

 The names seem approximative indeed.

A quick search in "Mir zhivotnykh" vol. 5, does not give any clue as to "Kovyrun", nor in Dal'.

But "Kovyrun" seems to mean some monster so as regards "notchnaya ptista kovyrun", could not the translation just be something like "a monstrous night bird" (sorry for any English mistake, I am a French-speaker).

Regards

Philippe Frison
(Strasbourg, France)