query re: Russian commonplace books

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Fri Sep 21 17:06:17 UTC 2007

See Brokgauz & Efron: 'AL'BOM, 2,  Kniga ili tetrad' iz belykh listov,
kuda zanosiatsia zametki, stikhotvoreniia, avtografy, risunki.' (other
Russian dictionaries have similar definitions). This seems closest to
what is required by RJS, although I think  tetrad' could also be used in
this sense. French 'album' is used in the same sense, and so is the
English 'album' - 'a book tastefully bound, and kept chiefly by ladies
to be filled, as opportunity presents itself, with scraps of poetry, or
autographs or anything similar'(Lloyd's Encyclopedic Dictionary, 1895).

In fact the English term 'commonplace book' itself is not consistently
used: see OED 'Commonplace book. Formerly /Book of common places/ (see
COMMON-PLACE
<http://0-dictionary.oed.com.catalogue.ulrls.lon.ac.uk/cgi/crossref?query_type=word&queryword=commonplace+book&first=1&max_to_show=10&single=1&sort_type=alpha&xrefword=common-place&ps=n.>
/n./ 3). /orig./ A book in which 'commonplaces' or passages important
for reference were collected, usually under general heads; hence, a book
in which one records passages or matters to be especially remembered or
referred to, with or without arrangement.' The more literary kind of
commonplace book seems to have developed later.

But it is also clear that al'bom or tetrad' have wider ranges of meaning
than the rather more specific English term.

Will Ryan