Enquiry on small caps in Russian

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Fri Aug 1 09:53:40 UTC 2008

I haven't tried many fonts with this but I think in fact the small caps
Paul describes are in fact pseudo-small caps, i.e. simply scaled-down
caps, just as many True Type italics used to be just slanted roman, and
bold was simply emboldened roman. For most readers (including me)
scaled-down caps will not normally attract attention as being inelegant,
but serious professionals probably notice and disapprove.

Spacing-out was used in Germany and to some extent the Netherlands for
emphasis and sometimes for book titles in bibliography, but I have the
impression that italic is now gaining in use (although 'German Bold
Italic', which dominated the results of a quick Google search, turned
out to be a song by Kylie Minogue). The reason used to be that italic
does not mix with Fraktur, and later the spacing-out convention became
useful as an italic substitute for typewriters, just as in English we
may still use underlining for the same purpose. I imagine that the
Russian razriadka was borrowed from the German convention. Some Russian
style sheets nowadays stipulate that italic should be used instead of
razriadka, which makes good sense in a digital environment where
automatic justification of lines can make razriadka difficult to
distinguish. Razriadka is also more trouble to type than kursiv (twice
as many keystrokes), awkward for line-end hyphenation, and less
economical on the page. Personally I have always found razriadka ugly
and untidy, and difficult to read if it continues for more than a few
words, while the kursiv for many Russian fonts is in fact very attractive.

Will Ryan

Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

The True Type fonts on my Windows system have always produced acceptable
small caps for Cyrillic, at least in applications like MS Word. This
includes fonts that are essentially Western fonts, such as Times New
Roman, Arial, and Courier New. I haven't used the older Casady & Greene
fonts in years, so I don't recall their behavior.
---
A feature I frequently see in Russian texts that is generally not used
in the West is s p a c i n g   o u t   e m p h a s i z e d   t e x t.