TOILET / UNITAZ

Genevra Gerhart ggerhart at COMCAST.NET
Tue Aug 26 16:51:59 UTC 2008

Dear John,

The Russian word "tualet" is the polite word for the room, while "unitaz" is
the receiving receptacle, i.e. toilet, which usually is the only equipment
in the room.
Usually does not mean always, so that contemporary construction sometimes
includes sinks and even bathtubs.
Americans insist on putting everything in one room designated as "bathroom",
though just a toilet and sink will get you a "powder room" in architects'
designs.
Americans should note, that their requests for a "bathroom"  in an English
hotel will get you a bathtub but not necessarily a shower or toilet.
"Restrooms" are found in public facilities and include usually only a sink
and a toilet, and no place to rest. Its closest equivalent is WC.
For teaching purposes, I would call tualet "toilet room".
Good luck,
Genevra Gerhart

ggerhart at comcast.net

www.genevragerhart.com
www.russiancommonknowledge.com

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of John Langran
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 2:05 AM
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] TOILET / UNITAZ

Corrections 2nd sendingDear colleagues

Ruslan 1 US edition is nearing completion

I am struggling for an American English translation of the Russian
"tualyet".
I think that in US English this is the receptacle (unitaz), not the room.

Someone suggested "restroom", but knowing Russian toilets as I do I cannot
put that!

How about "toilet room"?

Thanks for any suggestions before the end of Wednesday when I have to
finalise (sorry, finalize) the text

john at ruslan.co.uk

John