Zhargon-Entsiklopediya Moskovskoy Tusovki

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Wed Aug 27 19:11:46 UTC 2008

This is a riot of a book, we used to read it in groups out loud and
laugh to tears. But of course it cannot be taken terribly seriously
as "encyclopedia", just a goofing project of the authors. Some things
are obsolete: The authors obviously thought that Burbulis was their
worst enemy, and there are a lot of mocking entries through out the
"encyclopedia". For example:

Burbulizatsija — sm Karbolka.

Of course one would turn to Karbolka:

Karbolka: 1. Burbulizatsija.
2. Burbulizatsija.
3. Sm. Burbulizatsija.

In other words they also made fun of the way basic dictionaries are
organized. But Burbulis and Burbulizatsija are the most common words
in the "encyclopedia". Great fun!

Considering that it was published in 1000 copies, I have my doubts
about its availability.

AI

On Aug 27, 2008, at 2:53 PM, Kim Braithwaite wrote:

> Digressing slightly, if anyone has a copy of McLovsky, Klyne, and
> Chtchouplov (Shchuplov)'s Zhargon-Entsiklopediya Moskovskoy Tusovki
> (Moscow, 1997), take a look at the entry "Bundesrat" for a list of
> Russian slang terms for "toilet" and the like - followed by a 13-
> page essay on same. Amusing in places. As is the book itself.

Alina Israeli
LFS, American University
4400 Massachusetts Ave., NW
Washington DC. 20016