Unitaz - Karandash

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Fri Aug 29 03:25:03 UTC 2008

Certainly not folk etymology! Vasmer, Trubachev, and the sources they
relied on, were not just 'folk'. They could have got it wrong but they
were not naive or stupid - another lesson for the young researcher. The
article cited below, by Vvedenskaia and Kolesnikov (2000), is in fact
only repeating Kolesnikov's etymology first published in 1962, which
though it makes good points does not seem to have received wide
acceptance and also jumps to conclusions, and like Vasmer's etymology
leaves many questions unanswered both chronologically and technically.
The word 'karandash' is not attested in Russia until the last third of
the seventeenth century, in relatively elevated cultural contexts; there
are no Russian manuscripts, as far as I can discover, written in pencil;
the Russians had a perfectly good word for pointed writing instruments
other than pens - 'pisalo'. The accepted history of graphite is that it
was first discovered in England in the early seventeenth century and
that pencils were then developed in various parts of western Europe.
Muscovites imported all their paper, and in the late seventeenth century
many other technical items from western Europe. A Turkish/Turkic import
of that kind at that date seems unlikely and there seems to be no record
of trade in graphite, or pencils, from either east or west, except
perhaps one source (1684) cited in the Slovar' russkogo iazyka  XI-XVII
vv reads: 'v odnom iashchike ruda, nazyvaiut ee po nemetski olovko, a po
ruski karandash samoi priamoi', which suggests that in fact the material
may not have been not graphite but one of the lead ores, and imported
from the west.

All this still leaves the puzzle of where the word comes from - and it
does indeed sound Turkic. Chernykh, in his Istoriko-etimologicheskii
slovar' sovremmenogo iazyka, concludes his longish article by saying
that it is a strange that in Petrine Russia there was no word of western
origin used for pencil.

As far as I am concerned the word karandash still awaits a satisfactory
etymology.

Will Ryan