linking i

jdingley at YORKU.CA jdingley at YORKU.CA
Sat Aug 30 21:24:51 UTC 2008

Hi,

Spinning off from "vertolet", might someone tell me why we appear to
have the link vowel "i" in "vertishejka" (Jynx torquilla):
http://www.floranimal.ru/pages/animal/v/4672.html
although "vertoshejka" also crops up:
http://www.photodom.com/photo/523015
There seem to be a few compounds with "i" as the link vowel around, e.g.
"krutigolovka", "vertixvostka". Perhaps it has something to do with
2nd class verbs?
I am aware of numeral compounds such as "pjatiletnij", but in these "i"
is not a link vowel.
Unless I have a bad case of "starost' ne radost'" (quite possible), if
compounds are formed with a link vowel, that vowel is always either "o" or
"e".

John Dingley