Underwood Typewriter (Laura Kline)

Anna Dranova wolandusa at YAHOO.COM
Sat Aug 30 20:52:40 UTC 2008

Laura, I think you should give that Russian Underwood typewriter to Clemens Starck, the Oregon poet who wrote a wonderful collection of poetry called STUDYING RUSSIAN ON COMPANY TIME. His anthology has a poem called Lenin's Typewriter (an Underwood). I'll take the liberty of citing a small passage from it:

And in the Smolny
is Lenin's typewriter --
squatting there like some infernal dream machine,
still spitting out in Russian letters
recipes for revolution.

Clackety-clackety-clack...

Inkstand, green felt, a gooseneck lamp
and the trusty Underwood --
what more do you need to change the world?

Clem Starck lives in Dallas, Oregon. His poetry was published by the Silverfish Review Press. He won the Oregon Book Prize for poetry and other literary prizes. I highly recommend STUDYING RUSSIAN ON COMPANY TIME to anyone who would like to give a Russian-related gift to a teacher or student of Russian. (The company to which the title refers, by the way, is Oregon State University, where Clem worked as a carpenter.)