helicopters

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Sun Aug 31 16:55:45 UTC 2008

Ralph makes good new points, not least about the official desire for a
'Russian' name which was certainly a regular feature in new technical
terminology for much of the Soviet period, just as it was, and is, in
France for 'French' terms (usually Frenchified Latin or Greek). In the
case of 'samolet', of course, the situation was easier because an
appropriate word already existed.
The June revision of the entry in the OED for 'aeroplane' is interesting
in that it appears that the word is first used in French in 1855, but
with an unclear etymology. 'Aer-' is clearly Greek, but is the 'plan-'
from Greek (wandering), or Latin 'planus', or French 'planer', 'to glide
though the air'? The third option might have given rise to the Russian
term now mostly reserved, it appears, for ballooning, vozdukhoplavanie.
The was a journal published 1880-1883 called Vozdukhoplavatel'. The
adjective vozdukhoplavatel'nyi is used in a physics manual by
Gilarovskii (1793)
How helpful the internet is for etymologists!
Will Ryan