helicopters

Tatiana N. Bazvanova listanik at RAMBLER.RU
Sun Aug 31 16:56:19 UTC 2008

Hello Ralph,
my name is Tatiana. I don't know how to sign out Seelangs.
Can you help me?

Thanks and my best wishes,
Tatiana

* Ralph Cleminson <Ralph.Cleminson at PORT.AC.UK> [Sun, 31 Aug 2008
16:30:48 +0100]:
> Ušakov is right: the word вертолет was coined in 1929 by N.I.Kamov,
> co-inventor of the Kaskr-1, which is an autogiro, so clearly at the
> beginning this is indeed what it meant.
>
> Hélicoptère dates back to 1861, and was borrowed into Russian as
> геликоптер
> (perhaps via English, given the initial г-), a word definitely in use
at
> the time of Kamov's invention and indeed a decade later, when
A.A.Žabrov

<http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9A%D0%B0%D0%BC%D0%BE%D0%B2,_%D0%9D%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BB%D0%B0%D0%B9_%D0%98%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%B8%D1%87>

<http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%90%D0%B2%D1%82%D0%BE%D0%B6%D0%B8%D1%80>
> КАСКР-1
> <http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9A%D0%B0%D1%81%D0%BA%D1%80-1>.
>
> Ushakov says a vertolet is the same as an avtozhir - which it isn't
> because an autogyro needs forward movement to fly and its rotor is not
> powered - therefore, unlike a helicopter, it cannot fly vertically.
This