Sibilant voicing in American English

Wed Dec 3 12:00:06 UTC 2008

Robert Orr wrote:

> I first heard "equation " in 1968, from a maths teacher
> I remember my Mum being horrified.

I tried to be very clear that I was speaking of American English. I
deduce from your use of the forms "maths" and "Mum," as well as your
preference for a voiceless sibilant in "equation,: that you must be British.

FWIW, I have never in my life heard "equation" with anything but a
voiced sibilant, and the same went for "Asia" until very recently. I
remember being astonished the first time I heard a Brit say "Asia" with
/ʃ/; it sounded completely foreign and more than a little ridiculous
("maths" still does). But dialect differences can be that way; don't
take it personally.

> The same year I also heard one speaker consistently refer to the present
> month with a voiced sibilant.

I've never heard that, cross my fingers.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com