Voicing of (written) "sibilants" in English

Prof Steven P Hill s-hill4 at ILLINOIS.EDU
Wed Dec 3 18:01:44 UTC 2008

Dear colleagues:

My impresson is that there can be some differences between British
and American English.

In American pronunciation the common suffix "-sion" is often
articulated with ZH; e.g., "decision," "incision" = [ dee-SIZH-un ],
[ in-SIZH -un ].  Whereas I've gotten the impression that in British
pronunciation that same suffix can sound as SH; e.g.,  perhaps
[dee-SISH-un], [in-SISH-un] ?

On the contrary, Gallagher's example "fission" to my American ear
still sounds as SH in American English: [ FISH - un ].  Maybe some
Yanks already render it with ZH?  And I admit I don't know how
"fission" is rendered in British pronunciation.

I once had a US-raised student who had grown up in the home
of parents who were native speakers of German.  Even in a US
(Illinois) college, she still did not distinguish between the sounds
SH and ZH, either in English or in "Russian 101" (which I was
teaching)...

Best wishes to all,
Steven P Hill,
University of Illinois.