Political Correctness in Russia

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Sat Dec 6 12:23:55 UTC 2008

I would certainly not dispute the fact that some words genuinely cause
offence, and even harm, in some contexts, and that politeness and common
decency should oblige us to avoid them. However, PC began to be maligned
because, however good the intentions are of those who coin new words or
terms, or ban old ones, they tend to reflect the opinions of pressure
groups, are often ignorant and/or ludicrous, and may achieve the
opposite of what was intended by inviting ironical use or downright
mockery, are a prime source of  'urban legends', and when insisted on by
governments, official bodies, editorial boards etc., amount to
censorship. This can sometimes be no more than local prudishness - a
journal published by a very distinguished US institution once edited out
of an article I had written, on a history of science topic, a quotation
from an 18th-century text including the now obsolete astronomical term
'menstrual libration' (the relative monthly movement of the moon
relative to the earth), on the grounds that it was offensive. Nowadays
Google simply asks if by 'libration' you mean 'liberation'. The whole
notion of prescriptive terminology for sensitive areas also ignores the
fact that once a word is tabooed and replaced by a euphemism, the
euphemism may in turn become sensitive and require yet another euphemism.

In the matter of v/na Ukraine, mentioned in another response, this is
quite literally a matter of  'political correctness', and is mirrored by
the insistence that we should in English refer to 'Ukraine' and not, as
formerly, 'the Ukraine'. The argument seems to be that in both cases the
old formulation implied that the Ukraine was a mere territory and not an
independent state (notwithstanding the analogy of 'na Rusi'). This has
been discussed here before, and I would still maintain that it is not
'the' which implies marginality but 'Ukraine', for obvious etymological
reasons.

Will Ryan