Political Correctness in Russia

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Sat Dec 6 17:43:01 UTC 2008

The problem is that we cannot separate the fact from the shame it
causes and as the result the only way to deal with the shame is to
pretend there is no fact. From the point of view of the author being
Black is like being handicap and a polite person should not dwell on
the handicap. Just yesterday I read a story about a kid who was
mistreated because he had red hair. So imagine that the society
eventually overcomes this obsession with red hair and everyone is
treated the same. But those who are still very touchy about it just
cannot bring themselves to say 'red hair', 'the person with red
hair', they'll say 'that one', 'the other one', just to avoid
mentioning his most distinct feature.

If there is no stigma attached and the term is not offensive the
distinctive feature should be mentioned as such, that feature may be
one of those that differentiate this person from the crowd.

PS. On the subject of V Ukraine: check out the latest edition (or
maybe even two last editions) of Rozental' "Spravochnik po
literaturnoj pravke".

AI

On Dec 5, 2008, at 11:01 PM, Valery Belyanin wrote:

> I am a bit confused with Russian understanding of PC:
> «Президентом будет черный, – неполиткорректно заметила Дюваль. –
> Выберут
> Обаму».
> Prezidentom budet chernyj,- nepolitkorrektno zametil Duval, Vyberut
> Obamu.
> http://www.gazeta.ru/social/2008/10/22/2862684.shtml<http://
> 1001.vdv.ru/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t4784.html>
> does it mean that "*black*" regarding Afro-American is also not PC?
> What
> then
> Russians should say?
> P.S. All this resembles me Ukrainians forcing Russians to say V
> Ukraine,
> instead of NA Ukraine.
> Sorry for being possibly not too PC.
> Really confused (again lost in between two cultures? :-).
> --
> Валерий Белянин / Valeri Belianine, doktor nauk in psycholinguistics
> Психолингвистический форум = http://mospsy.ru/phorum/list.php?f=2

Alina Israeli
LFS, American University
4400 Massachusetts Ave., NW