Political Correctness in Russia

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Sun Dec 7 00:24:29 UTC 2008

Obvious etymological reasons would be those given in Vasmer's standard
etymological dictionary, Ushakov, Brockhaus and Efron (admittedly all
Russian but not necessarily inspired by Great Russian prejudice). The
word appears to have been normal East Slavonic for a border region from
at least the 12th century (when there was no Great Russia). Alternative
etymologies involving derivation from unprefixed krai seem to lack
attested evidence. What popular etymologies do you have in mind?
Will Ryan