Handling "STROI" in "Kotlovan"

Timothy Sergay tsergay at albany.edu
Sun Dec 7 17:48:41 UTC 2008

Dear Robert and all,

I would think about "formation" rather than "column" in handling "stroi"
when the immediate contextual sense has to do with marching and ranks, as
in "razgovorchiki v stroiu" or here, "v meru obshchego stroia" (maybe "the
general formation"); when you "fall in" to ranks, whether standing or
marching, you're "in formation" and so on. I agree with the relevance of
the words/concepts of "order" and "organization" for the more generalized
valence of "stroi"; the Latin idea of formatio is also good for these, as
well as the related theme of building, construction--to form something is
not only to make it larger, it also means to impart order and organization
to it. Naturally it's hard to map the root STRO- onto a single English
root that is similarly productive of lexicon; it's hard to imagine
translating a long text with many thematically interrelated tokens of
STRO- without resorting to a menu of different English forms (build,
order, organization, form, formation, probably others).

Best wishes,
Tim