КОTLOVAN passag e again (otdalivshis'... stroi)

Boris Dagaev boris.dagaev at GMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 7 17:49:41 UTC 2008

Such beauty! I feel humbled and devastated by it...

I couldn't help reading further and further and eventually arrived at this
passage:

Музыка пионеров отдохнула и заиграла вдали  марш  движения. Вощев продолжал
томиться и пошел в этот город жить. / Muzyka pionerov otdohnula i zaigrala
vdali marsh dvizhenija. Voschev prodolzhal tomit'sja i poshel v etot gorod
zhit'.

My take on all this (could be entirely wrong) is that the orchestra ("уставшая
музыка впереди" / ustavshaja muzyka vperedi) indeed started its movement out
of the depth of the town in front of the column of pioneers, but eventually
did pass Voschev and the forge by and go into the distance, although it is
not clear whether Voschev could still see it or only hear.

Sorry to disagree, and there are a lot of "odd" usages of other words, but
in the fragment in question the use of "otdalivshis'" doesn't strike me as
particularly odd. Situationally, it fits.

Boris