Kozak/Cossack

nataliek at UALBERTA.CA nataliek at UALBERTA.CA
Sun Dec 7 20:01:25 UTC 2008

I am not advocating a Ukrainian nationalist point of view.  Rather, I
am fascinated by the process of trying to change an image through
language.  And I find the responses I am getting on this site very
interesting indeed.  And very different from the discussion on the
various Ukrainian groups.  I expected this and I was looking for a
different point of view.  The issue of the non-Ukrainian Cossacks was,
of course, ignored in the Ukrainian discussions.  Should the issue
resurface in the Ukrainian groups, I will bring it up and see what
people say.

Natalka K.

Quoting "William Ryan" <wfr at SAS.AC.UK>:

> Of course it is a political matter - your politics, not mine. You
> have failed to answer my question as to why Ukrainian nationalists
> have decided not only to claim ownership of all Cossacks but also to
> dictate how their name should be spelled in latin alphabets,
> regardless of language (the combinations ko- and -ak in English and
> French for example are uncommon and ugly, c, ck, and qu- are much
> more common). And what about the Russian-speaking Don Cossacks who
> expanded Muscovy eastwards and manned the forts of Siberia, and
> fought for or rebelled against the Moscow tsar - most of them were
> never within a thousand miles of the Ukraine. Are we supposed to
> re-write history and literature as well? Do we have to describe
> Ermak, Pugachev and Stenka Razin as kozaki, Ukrainian cowboys? Do we
> have to rewrite Tennyson's  'Charge of the Light Brigade'? (I note,
> however, that Byron in Don Juan also uses the form Kozack, as well
> as Cossacque).
> By all means be proud of your cultural heritage, by all means try to
> re-balance the Great Russian view of history - I applaud all that,
> but stop trying to bully others into alien linguistic norms for
> spurious reasons. Your introduction of the notion of purity
> ('Ukrainian and thus pure') into the argument is really quite
> alarming. This precisely why 'political correctness' has got a bad
> name.
> Will Ryan

Natalie Kononenko
Kule Chair of Ukrainian Ethnography