Kozak/Cossack

Sun Dec 7 20:06:20 UTC 2008

Maria Dmytriyeva wrote:

> You know, it is not even funny any more. Prince Vladimir? Russian?
> what relation did he have to Russia which came into existence several
> centuries after he died?

Since the Russians and Ukrainians are from the same stock, the question
becomes irrelevant if we go back far enough. The critical question is
whether the Russians and Ukrainians already constituted separate ethnic
(if not political) groups in Vladimir's/Volodymyr's time. If not, you
can call them anything you like and you'll be right.

Would you say the Russians are an offshoot of the Ukrainians, or that
the Ukrainians are an offshoot of the Russians? Or would you simply say
that two equal peoples diverged and one was (оказался) more successful
geopolitically over the next thousand years?

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com