Kozak/Cossack

nataliek at UALBERTA.CA nataliek at UALBERTA.CA
Sun Dec 7 20:12:42 UTC 2008

You are correct.  As I said, I think Subtelny's analogy to cowboys is
useful.  Cossacks/kozaks were no more an ethnic group than cowboys.
That does not prevent them (be it cowboys or Cossacks/kozaks) from
being appropriated as a symbol.

> OK, now I'm confused.
> I had learned (mistakenly perhaps, it happens) that Cossacks/Kozaks
> were not an ethnic group at all, but a group that established itself
> historically from "outlier" types (runaway serfs, "incorrigibles,"
> various freedom-seekers) and then developed a loosely defined society.
> Is it the appellation that's Turkic, or the actual group?
>
> Please correct me.
> I should be writing exams instead or responding to the thread about
> p.c., but one is no fun and the other one would be, well, angry
> frustration.
> This is an actual opportunity to learn something ...
> -FR
>

> Francoise Rosset, Associate Professor
> Chair, Russian and Russian Studies
> Coordinator, German and Russian