Volodymyr/Vladimir

Robert A. Rothstein rar at SLAVIC.UMASS.EDU
Sun Dec 7 20:48:07 UTC 2008

    The Poles have a handy adjective, staroruski, essentially "Old East
Slavic," used for example to refer to what Westerners tend to call "Old
Russian Literature" (such as the literature of Kievan Rus'). Around
Harvard people seem to have adopted the adjective "Rusian" in the same
function. Both are politically correct in a very narrow sense. Correct,
in that both those whose descendants would become Ukrainians and those
whose descendants would become Russians probably referred to the Kievan
ruler (if they were aware of him) as Volodimir or Volodymyr, later to
become Ukrainian Volodymyr and (after the so-called Second South Slavic
Influence) Russian Vladimir. And political, in the sense that the
terminology might help, as the singer Theodore Bikel says in his English
version of "Sten'ka Razin" "to prevent disputes and quarrels."
    (On rereading the above, I noticed that I twice used the form
"Kievan." I hereby authorize those who wish to to read that as "Kyivan"
to do so. I've successfully made the transition in my own usage from
Lvov/Lwów/Lemberg/Leopolis to Lviv, but I still find "Kyiv" too far
removed from English phonotactics to be comfortable with it.)

Bob Rothstein