Volodymyr / Vladimir

Valentino, Russell russell-valentino at UIOWA.EDU
Sun Dec 7 21:17:00 UTC 2008

Dear Professor Pylypiuk,

You misread my post, which makes  no claim about the name of the prince, and only an indirect one about the existence of the nation of Ukraine in 988. My understanding is that it did not exist then, hence the anachronism of saying anyone might have ruled over it.  If I am wrong about that, I would like to know.

-----Original Message-----

From:  "Natalia Pylypiuk" <natalia.pylypiuk at UALBERTA.CA>
Subj:  [SEELANGS] Volodymyr / Vladimir
Date:  Sun Dec 7, 2008 2:29 pm
Size:  3K
To:  "SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu" <SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu>

Dear Professors Valentino and Steiner,

The form *Volodymyr* appears in the witnesses to the Primary Chronicle
of Rus'.

I have just checked Donald Ostrowski (Editor)
The *Pove[hachek]st   vremennykh   le[hachek]t .*
An Interlinear Collation and Paradosis (2003),
which cites the five main witnesses to the PVL
(i.e., those copies that have independent authority to testify
about the archetype), namely, the Laurentian, Radziwill,
Academy, Hypatian and Khlebnikov  copies.

Each one of these main witnesses has the following forms of the Rus'
prince's name:

218,26:  *svoemu volodymyru* or *svoemu volodymyrou*
or *svoemu volodymeru*  or *svoemu volodymerou*
(vol. 3, p.1742)

219,1: *posla k volodymeru* or *posla k volodymyru* or *posla k
volodymerou*
(vol. 3, p.1742)

Moreover, in their own academic editions the Russian scholars L.
Bychkov (1872),
A. Shakhmatov (1916) and D. S. Likhachev (1950) accept these spellings
and do not
introduce the modern Russian form Vladimir.  Please see the pages
cited above.

For more examples of Volodymyr / Volodymer, please see pages 1743,
1745, and so on.

Consequently, there is nothing anachronistic about the modern
Ukrainian form Volodymyr.

By the way, the above mentioned three volume collation and paradosis
of the PVL was compiled and edited by
historian Donald Ostrowski (Harvard University). Its associate editor
was the linguist and medievalist
David Birnbaum (University of Pittsburgh), and its consultant was the
linguist Horace Lunt (Emeritus, Harvard University).
All three scholars have a serious reputation in their field. They are
not Ukrainian by
background. One may not accuse them or L. Bychkov, A. Shakhmatov, and
D. S. Likhachev
of Ukrainian nationalism.

Kind regards,
Professor Natalia Pylypiuk, Modern Languages & Cultural Studies
University of Alberta
Edmonton, AB, Canada T6G 2E6

On 7-Dec-08, at 9:57 AM, Valentino, Russell wrote:

> This example ("St. Volodymyr, ruler of Ukraine") makes perfect
> anachronistic sense. One merely has to accept the implication that
> the nation of Ukraine existed in 988...
>
> The phenomenon of renaming in post-Communist space has received
> serious scholarly attention. It bears some similarities but is not
> equivalent to renaming in post-colonial space (Bombay, Peking,
> Bangui). If anyone knows of a comparative study or studies of these
> two phenomena, please pass it/them on.
>

> Russell Scott Valentino
> Department of Cinema and Comparative Literature
> University of Iowa

Begin forwarded message: