Volodymyr / Vladimir

Evgeny Steiner es9 at SOAS.AC.UK
Sun Dec 7 21:27:03 UTC 2008

No debates about Volo/Vla (although in the slightly later "Slovo" 'Vladimer'
was used:
"Почнемъ же, братїє, повЂсть сїю отъ стараго Владимера до нынЂшняго Игоря".

As for 'димир/димер', - sorry, I did not know that the Cyrillic 'и' or 'i'
should be now transliterated by the Roman 'y'.

2008/12/7 Natalia Pylypiuk <natalia.pylypiuk at ualberta.ca>

> Dear Professors Valentino and Steiner,
>
> The form *Volodymyr* appears in the witnesses to the Primary Chronicle of
> Rus'.
>
> I have just checked Donald Ostrowski (Editor)
> The *Pove[hachek]st   vremennykh   le[hachek]t .*
> An Interlinear Collation and Paradosis (2003),
> which cites the five main witnesses to the PVL
> (i.e., those copies that have independent authority to testify
> about the archetype), namely, the Laurentian, Radziwill,
> Academy, Hypatian and Khlebnikov  copies.
>
> Each one of these main witnesses has the following forms of the Rus'
> prince's name:
>
> 218,26:  *svoemu volodymyru* or *svoemu volodymyrou*
> or *svoemu volodymeru*  or *svoemu volodymerou*
> (vol. 3, p.1742)
>
> 219,1: *posla k volodymeru* or *posla k volodymyru* or *posla k
> volodymerou*
> (vol. 3, p.1742)
>
> Moreover, in their own academic editions the Russian scholars L. Bychkov
> (1872),
> A. Shakhmatov (1916) and D. S. Likhachev (1950) accept these spellings and
> do not
> introduce the modern Russian form Vladimir.  Please see the pages cited
> above.
>
> For more examples of Volodymyr / Volodymer, please see pages 1743, 1745,
> and so on.
>
> Consequently, there is nothing anachronistic about the modern Ukrainian
> form Volodymyr.
>
> By the way, the above mentioned three volume collation and paradosis of the
> PVL was compiled and edited by
> historian Donald Ostrowski (Harvard University). Its associate editor was
> the linguist and medievalist
> David Birnbaum (University of Pittsburgh), and its consultant was the
> linguist Horace Lunt (Emeritus, Harvard University).
> All three scholars have a serious reputation in their field. They are not
> Ukrainian by
> background. One may not accuse them or L. Bychkov, A. Shakhmatov, and D. S.
> Likhachev
> of Ukrainian nationalism.
>
> Kind regards,
> Professor Natalia Pylypiuk, Modern Languages & Cultural Studies
> University of Alberta
> Edmonton, AB, Canada T6G 2E6
>

> On 7-Dec-08, at 9:57 AM, Valentino, Russell wrote:
>
>  This example ("St. Volodymyr, ruler of Ukraine") makes perfect
>> anachronistic sense. One merely has to accept the implication that the
>> nation of Ukraine existed in 988...
>>
>> The phenomenon of renaming in post-Communist space has received serious
>> scholarly attention. It bears some similarities but is not equivalent to
>> renaming in post-colonial space (Bombay, Peking, Bangui). If anyone knows of
>> a comparative study or studies of these two phenomena, please pass it/them
>> on.
>>

>> Russell Scott Valentino
>> Department of Cinema and Comparative Literature
>> University of Iowa
>>

> Begin forwarded message:

> [...]

Professor Evgeny Steiner
Senior Research Associate
Sainsbury Institute for the Study of Japanese Arts and Cultures
SOAS, University of London
Brunei Gallery, B401
Russell Square
London WC1H 0XG