Study Abroad in KZ/Kyrgyzstan

Romy Taylor romy at PETUHOV.COM
Fri Feb 1 05:32:29 UTC 2008

Dear SEELANGS,

Announcing a new 6-unit summer study abroad program to Central Asia.
It's the product of having a number of students from Kazakhstan, plus
Renee Stillings' article (NetNews 2006?) on faculty-led travel.  We'll
actually be riding camels on the last day in KZ!

(Thank you, Renee!)

Please disseminate to anyone who might be interested.

Yours,
Romy Taylor
The University of Arizona is offering a new Faculty-led Program
in Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan for students with an interest in Central Asia,
a sense of adventure and a love of the outdoors.

TREKKING THE SILK ROAD: KAZAKHSTAN AND KYRGYSTAN

July 14 - August 13, 2008

Nestled between the Caspian Sea, Siberia, China, Afghanistan, and Iran, the
Central Asian countries of Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan boast natural
resources, educated and multilingual populations, and a rich cultural
heritage. Central Asia has been at the crossroads of Hun and Mongol, Arab,
Chinese, and Russian empires, and since the fall of the USSR has re-emerged
as an important geopolitical nexus. On this trek, students will follow the
footsteps of Marco Polo, as well as some of today's more adventurous travel
writers, journeying by bus, foot, horseback, and camel.

The first two weeks of this four-week program will be spent on the
University of Arizona campus, exploring Central Asia under Soviet
control. The second two weeks will be spent in Kazakhstan and
Kyrgyzstan, where the "classroom" will be on the trail. At breakfast
or around the campfire, students can expect to discuss "our group, as
travelers," the filters through which we find ourselves viewing
Central Asia and the footprints we may be leaving.

APPLICATIONS AVAILABLE through the University of Arizona Office of
Study Abroad & Student Exchange (520) 626-9211,
www.studyabroad.arizona.edu

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

See our website:
http://studyabroad.arizona.edu/display_program.php?id=225