Another reason to study Russian

Deborah Hoffman lino59 at AMERITECH.NET
Sun Feb 3 14:41:16 UTC 2008

That even tops the (Master's degreed) person I met who had never heard the word Gulag because she "wasn't even born yet." Has there been some serious shift in educational policy since I left my B.A. behind 15 years ago? (Presumably web designer staff for a large concern such as Woolworth's also have the equivalent of an undergraduate degree). I distinctly remember learning about many things that happened before I was born, even (especially?) in the required classes that were not my major field of study. I was never a fan of E.D. Hirsch, but I am really starting to wonder.

  >Date:    Sat, 2 Feb 2008 11:13:19 +0000
>From:    William Ryan <wfr at SAS.AC.UK>
>Subject: Re: Another reason to study Russian
>
>Perhaps even a reason to study English - the management of Woolworths
>claimed they were not guilty of sexualising childrens' products -
>because they had never head of Lolita.
>Will Ryan
>

>Seth Graham wrote:
> So you don't make corporate decisions like this:
>
> "Woolworths withdraws 'Lolita' bed
> Bedroom furniture for young girls with the brand name Lolita has been

> withdrawn by Woolworths following complaints from parents.
> A parenting website said it was in "unbelievably bad taste" to give
> the bed the same name as a novel about a sexually precocious young
 girl.
> Woolworths said the £395 Lolita Midsleeper Combi was withdrawn
 when
> the matter was brought to its attention.
> Vladimir Nabokov's 1955 novel became famous for its controversial
> subject."
>
> Full article from BBC News here:
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7222008.stm
>
> Seth
> _____________
> S e t h   G r a h a m
> Lecturer in Russian
> School of Slavonic and East European Studies
> University College London
> Gower St
> London WC1E 6BT
> Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 8735
> s.graham at ssees.ucl.ac.uk

Deborah Hoffman, Esq.
Russian > English Legal and Literary Translations

A man ceases to be a beginner in any given science and becomes a master in that science when he has learned that he is going to be a beginner all his life. -- R. G. Collingwood