Another reason to study Russian

George Kalbouss kalbouss at MAC.COM
Sun Feb 3 15:26:57 UTC 2008

	It looks as if nobody knows anything anymore.  In my undergraduate
classes hardly anyone
knew who Stalin was (hundreds and hundreds of students),  most could
not locate any nation
on the map.  Once flying into New York from Columbus with a group of
students, one asked,
"what's that body of water out there?" -- I answered,  "the Atlantic
Ocean."

	I hope we do not have our heads in the sand about the vast sea of
polluted ignorance
that is out there.  One of our Biology professors at Ohio State said
that 80% of her students believe
that the world started with the Garden of Eden -- please don't say,
"yes, but you're talking about Ohio."  Remember
Ohio usually provides the decisive votes for President of the United
States.

	I'm beginning to suspect that this ignorance of the past is not only
an American phenomenon,
witness the neo-Nazis in Israel who are of Russian parentage (where is
their knowledge of
what the Nazis did in their homeland, i.e. to their ancestors?).
Maybe, a contemporary Candide
would say, "yes, but somewhere someone does know something."  I just
pray that we are not
the Candides.

	Pardon the rant.  If they don't know about the Atlantic Ocean or
Stalin, how would they know about Lolita?

George Kalbouss
THE Ohio State University
Retired