Gulag

Andrey Shcherbenok avs2120 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Sun Feb 3 21:29:47 UTC 2008

I think that "concentration camp" is a technical term that has precise
literal meaning -- just as GULAG has it when it is used to refer to a
particular state institution. The problem with GULAG is that it is nearly
impossible to use it outside the specialized historical study without
implying all the historiographic conceptions that it has accumulated in
political discourse starting with Solzhenitsyn's book and which more or less
fit the so-called "totalitarian model" of Soviet history -- a model which is
far from being universally accepted in historical scholarship. A loaded term
like GULAG is especially dangerous because it does not explicitly articulate
those historical interpretations (which would open them up for critical
scrutiny) but rather imply that these interpretations are inherent in the
historical reality of the GULAG in its literal meaning. I do not think these
considerations apply to the terms like "concentration camps" or "corrective
labor camps" or "prisons", that is why they are safer to use. I hope this
answers your question.

Sincerely,
Andrey Shcherbenok

Columbia Society of Fellows in the Humanities