Gulag

Edward M Dumanis dumanis at BUFFALO.EDU
Sun Feb 3 22:56:09 UTC 2008

I strongly disagree. You might be missing the point. Following your logic,
we should not use such "loaded" words as the Holocaust, or, going into
a relatively recent Russian history, "raskulachivanije" because they imply
a certain interpretation of history, and we, as somebody having no moral
values and just trying to stay "neutral," should teach the language and culture
without any imposition of our own principles.

The reality is that it is a pure fiction. One cannot teach history and
culture without taking sides. So, "what side are you on, on?" - "that is
the question." In the Humanities, any human action is a subject of
interpretation.

I am just wondering if there is any other member of the Columbia Society
of Fellows in the Humanities, the organization whose name you use in your
signature, who would subscribe your point of view. If so, I would like to
hear from them as well.

Sincerely,

Edward Dumanis <dumanis at buffalo.edu>