Reasons to study Russian, or English for that matter!

Mon Feb 4 12:08:25 UTC 2008

John Dunn wrote:

> Two comments on recent discussions.
>
> 1. Nationalistic/national.  I suppose that the haka, the alleged
> Maori war dance now performed by New Zealand rugby union players
> before international matches, is an example of 'a nationalistic
> dance'.  It is possible that other peformances answering to this
> description may be found in some of the video-clips that accompany
> the oeuvre of Oleg Gazmanov.   But am I the only person who thinks
> that 'national' in the original context doesn't sound right either?
> I would assume that this a is a reference to what are normally known
> in English as 'folk dances'.

Perhaps, but I think "folk dances" is probably too narrow.

If the original was национальный, that reminds me of the famous question
on passports and similar documents: "национальность?" -- which of course
is not "nationality" (гражданство) but "ethnicity." And an "ethnic
dance" need not be a "folk dance" (танец народный) -- to my ear, the
latter implies a certain level of, oh, shall we say "informality,"
"unofficialness," or something, verging toward deprecation. Not that I
myself have anything against folk dances, or indeed any form of folk
art. But they don't generally enjoy the status that some other forms do.

Here's a very Eurocentric treatment:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folk_dance>

You may also like the discussion here (scroll past the chaff at the top):
<http://www.folkdancing.org/folk_vs_ethnic.html>

Speaking of entrenched translations, in the arms-control context we have
the stock phrase "national technical means," which denotes anything
(hardware, software, etc.) a signatory can use /other than/ human assets
to perform a particular task of interest (e.g., detecting an incoming
bogie). Here, "national" does refer to the nation, and of course these
tasks are performed officially if surreptitiously by the government.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com