Reasons to study Russian, or English for that matter!

Mon Feb 4 17:38:19 UTC 2008

William Ryan wrote:

> As current president of the Folklore Society I am disappointed that
> Paul should find the word 'folk' in any way deprecatory. But he is
> not unfortunately alone. ...

I see that my remarks were not quite as clear as I would've hoped. When
I said this...
>> And an "ethnic dance" need not be a "folk dance" (танец народный)
>> -- to my ear, the latter implies a certain level of, oh, shall we
>> say "informality," "unofficialness," or something, verging toward
>> deprecation. Not that I myself have anything against folk dances,
>> or indeed any form of folk art. But they don't generally enjoy the
>> status that some other forms do.
... I thought I made it clear that the deprecation was not something I
felt, but something I recognized in the way the term is used in our
culture. Users of the term are well advised to exercise appropriate
caution lest their intent be misconstrued as readily as mine was.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com